Sunday, November 7, 2010

Thirty Years

     Last night in Shelby, NC some of my high school classmates got together for our 30th reunion.  Therefore, today I am dealing with my imminent mortality and age.  Lol.  On one hand, I can't believe it has been 30 years already since high school.  I certainly don't want to admit I am "middle aged".  On the other hand, I CAN believe it has been 30 years since high school.  When I replay the past years, it is amazing that I have done all I have in JUST 30 years. 
     There are two areas of great pride in my life since 1980,  I have given birth to 3 big strapping boys that are now 24 years, 22 years, and 15 years old.  This week on November 11, I will celebrate my oldest Sons' birthday along with mine, he was born on my 25th birthday.  He was the best birthday present ever. My children are definitely my greatest joy in life.  It is true when they say children are under your feet for a while, yet forever on your heart.  I have followed in my parents and grandparents legacy in praying for my children daily.  My deepest heartfelt wish for my children is that they love God and be responsible adults who give of themselves to help others in their community.  I also have the privilege of helping to raise my 8 year old step son.  I have to say, it is nice to have a little one in the house again. 
     Also,  I have earned two college degrees that total up to 7 years of learning.  I worked as an xray technologist for 5 years and have taught radiology for 10 years and counting!  Graduating from xray school ranks up there with one of the most difficult things I have accomplished and one of my proudest achievements. Teaching students brings a lot of joy into my life.  By teaching, I have the opportunity to reach out to many patients through my graduates.  They are able to extend the patient care skills and technical skills that I alone could use to reach only a few patients.
     Of course, there were rough patches along the way.  I have experienced loss, death, divorce, financial strain, sickness, injury.  I have come to expect bumps along the road of life.  Without speed bumps, I would not have slowed down enough to learn the lessons that God was trying to teach me.  Romans 8:28 says "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose."  At times, I didn't see the good in what I went through, yet later I could look back and say , "Thank you God.  You knew what was best for me better than I."  I like the following verse :  1 Peter 1:6-12  6Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:  7That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:  8Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:  9Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls."   One of my dearest friends would say to me, "Your crown in heaven will have lots of jewels.  You won't be able to hold your head up!"  I say to her that your crown will be full too!
     Having good and bad times are good for the soul.  As I look back over the past 30 years, I am thankful for both.  Along with the mountains and valleys of life comes wisdom that that can ONLY be learned by crying through the bad times, laughing through the good times, achieving my goals, and reaching out to give back what I have learned to those around me.  Not everyone will want the benefit of my wisdom and experience.  Hopefully, they will find other mentors along the bumpy path of life who will guide them along the way.  My parents were my mentors and gave me wonderful guidance throughout my childhood and adult life.  I am very thankful for their loving concern and support through the happy and sad times.  They were there for them ALL! 
     The past 30 years have definitely been eventful.  Would I want to turn back the clock and go back to 1980?  No Way!  Today, I am blessed to be married to my wonderful hubby who loves me dearly and  spoils me rotten.  I am very proud to have my two older sons' serving in the military & beginning their careers.  My oldest son is married and I have a granddog and two grandcats.   My hubby and I  have two boys still at home, our dog Bella, and many years of experience under our belts.
     I am looking forward to the next 30 years!
    
 My military men!
 The boys at home!
   My love and I

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful!!! Love to see these photos full of joy!

    Hugs Far-Away-Friend, but O-So-Close-To-My-Heart Friend...

    ReplyDelete